I used retired Designer Series Paper, as well as current DSP from the Brights Collection. If you want to do this project, you should hurry over to Stampin' Up!'s clearance rack and grab some Wicked Fun Specialty Designer Series Paper ($4.79) before it's gone!
I went to a local hardware store and bought a 2" x 3" x 8' piece of pine. I had them cut it in half so I could bring it home easily. When my husband got home from work, he noticed it immediately, and gave me a "what are you up to now" look. I told him that I need him to cut blocks for me, unless he wanted me to attempt it myself. Now, I'm totally sure I could have done it, but I like to make him feel needed (heehee).
Okay, I'll speed up the story.... I sanded the edges smooth and painted them with black craft paint. Then I used Collage Podge (I prefer this over Mod Podge), to adhere the DSP. Follow the directions on the bottle, because it will help you from getting bubbles.
The letters: I used the Harrington font and enlarged it and stretched it to fit each block. This is not a fun task. Lucky for you I have block sizes and I have saved the letter files. If you are interested in them email me and I will send them to you. I hand cut (YES by HAND, with scissors) the letters out of Basic Black card stock, then I inked them up directly on my Versamark Pad and heat embossed them with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. I love this glittery look, and the glitter stays on! Last, I Collage Podged the letters on the front, let them dry, and then coated all sides of the blocks.
I went back and forth about adding stamped images or embellishments to the blocks, and I finally decided that they looked great just the way they were, so I called it quits.